After pushing through 4 road games with a an impressive 3-0-1 record to build the point streak to 10 games, Monday is a great day to be a Carolina Hurricanes fan. The 2016-17 hangs in the balance, and that in itself is a big success on March 27, but regardless of how it ends, I think the positive momentum right now is unmistakable. Today’s Coffee Shop basks in that glow a bit and also tries to look 2 weeks into the future to figure out how it all ends. In case you missed it over the weekend, I wrote an article entitled “The P-word; what does it take?” that follows a similar theme to most of Monday’s polls and discussion questions.
Carolina Hurricanes polls
Please remember to click ‘vote’ for each individual poll vote.
What is the state of the Carolina Hurricanes 2016-17 season? (Repeat from last week)
- Shhhhhhh...Don't say a word. (55%, 30 Votes)
- It's not over. (33%, 18 Votes)
- It's over. (13%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 55
Obviously there are a number of Canes playing really well right now and everyone is contributing, but who has been the Hurricanes' best player during the 10-game point streak?
- Jeff Skinner (41%, 23 Votes)
- Elias Lindholm (39%, 22 Votes)
- Sebastian Aho (11%, 6 Votes)
- Eddie Lack (5%, 3 Votes)
- Jaccob Slavin (4%, 2 Votes)
- Justin Faulk (0%, 0 Votes)
- Jordan Staal (0%, 0 Votes)
- Other (add in comments) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 56
The next 4 games are at home. How many points do the Hurricanes need to get to make things interesting heading into the last week?
- 7 points (3-0-1) is nearly perfect, should gain ground and leaves some margin for error with a couple tough road games following. (62%, 32 Votes)
- 8 points (4-0-0) is tough, but the run of 4 games represents the best chance the Canes have to make up ground, and they need to capitalize fully. (27%, 14 Votes)
- 6 points (3-0-0) should be enough to gain a point or 2 and put the ball on the tee for a final week run. (10%, 5 Votes)
- 5 points (2-1-1) is not great, but it would still keep hope alive. (2%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 52
Carolina Hurricanes discussion questions
1) Obviously there are a number of factors, but if you had to narrow it down to 1-2 things, to what would you attribute the Hurricanes surge over the past 10 games?
2) What do you make of Coach Bill Peters sporadic lineup changes of late? Is it complex genius that has contributed significantly to the winning streak? Does it not really matter either way with key players finding a higher gear at the same time? Is it potentially risky?
3) In a similar vein as #2, what would you do for forward lines and defense pairings at least to start the run of 4 games? What do you think Peters will do?