It wasn’t easy, but we survived the first week of the offseason. The Hurricanes’ end of season press conference with Bill Peters and Ron Francis provided a pretty good dose of actual news and information on the Hurricanes front. The playoffs provided a relatively entertaining hockey diversion. And I personally managed to get through the Monday after the regular season ends without being too grumpy.
This week’s Monday Coffee Shop features poll questions on the NHL playoffs, how you plan to spend the offseason sports-wise and what you are most looking forward to during the Hurricanes long offseason. It finishes with 2 forward-looking discussion questions. First is what 1 (and only 1) addition you would make to boost the Canes’ fortunes for 2017-18, second is who you think the Canes can catch and bump out of the playoffs next year.
Please remember to click ‘vote’ after each poll answer.
Which playoff series is your favorite thus far?
- Washington/Toronto (42%, 37 Votes)
- Chicago/Nashville (15%, 13 Votes)
- I could care less about non-Hurricanes playoff hockey. (9%, 8 Votes)
- Pittsburgh/Columbus (8%, 7 Votes)
- Montreal/New York (7%, 6 Votes)
- Minnesota/St. Louis (7%, 6 Votes)
- San Jose/Edmonton (6%, 5 Votes)
- Ottawa/Boston (5%, 4 Votes)
- Anaheim/Calgary (2%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 88
Which of the big summer events are you most looking forward to?
- The NHL expansion draft (40%, 36 Votes)
- The regular NHL draft (30%, 27 Votes)
- The start of free agency (23%, 21 Votes)
- The Hurricanes prospect camp (6%, 5 Votes)
- Other (add in comments) (1%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 90
Which direction are you going for local summer sports? (Choose as many as apply)
- None of the above. I'm on break until the Hurricanes return. (60%, 46 Votes)
- Durham Bulls (27%, 21 Votes)
- NCFC/NC Courage (9%, 7 Votes)
- Other (add in comments) (6%, 5 Votes)
- Carolina Mudcats (5%, 4 Votes)
- Holly Springs Salamanders (4%, 3 Votes)
Total Voters: 77
Carolina Hurricanes discussion questions
1) If you could add only 1 bigger name player to the Hurricanes roster via trade or free agency (from players at least potentially available), who would it be?
2) Of the 8 Eastern Conference playoff teams which are most vulnerable to being beaten out by the Hurricanes in 2017-18?