Monday morning actually finds the Carolina Hurricanes playing well with points in 7 straight games but just quite well enough trying to pull off a minor miracle. A recent positive has been the improved play of Eddie Lack. A recent negative has been the Hurricanes inability to claim an extra point in overtime in six consecutive games now. Both of those are subjects for today’s Monday Coffee Shop polls and discussion.
Carolina Hurricanes polls
Please remember to click ‘vote’ after each poll response.
What do you make of Eddie Lack's improved play and what it means for the 2017-18 Carolina Hurricanes?
- It is fool's gold. In total, Lack has not been good enough and counting on Ward/Lack again for 2017-18 is a bad idea. (50%, 27 Votes)
- He just needed regular ice time, and he is showing that he will be a capable part of a 2017-18 tandem. (33%, 18 Votes)
- That ship sailed. Regardless of how he finishes 2017-18, Lack is destined to be either traded or bought out. (17%, 9 Votes)
- Other (add in comments) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 54
What do you make of the Hurricanes' struggles in overtime?
- The team and coaching staff needs to figure out how to improve. (62%, 34 Votes)
- A combination of both. (31%, 17 Votes)
- The lack of extra points in overtime is just bad luck unfortunately. (4%, 2 Votes)
- Other (add in comments) (4%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 55
What do you make of the officiating in the Hurricanes 4-3 overtime loss to the Flyers on Sunday night?
- It really was atrocious and cost the Hurricanes a point in the standings. (50%, 25 Votes)
- It was bad but within the norm and did not drive the outcome. (48%, 24 Votes)
- Other (add in comments) (2%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 50
Carolina Hurricanes discussion questions
1) What do you make of the team’s failure to win in overtime. The team has now lost 6 straight in overtime or the shootout and carries a 6-13 record overall. Is it just bad luck in what is essentially a coin flip? If not, what do you think is wrong with the Hurricanes’ strategy, play, etc. in overtime?
2) What do you make of Eddie Lack’s improved play recently? Was it just a matter of him needing regular starts to find a rhythm? Is is possible that a late season run of better play is the worst possible thing because it will cause Francis to trust the same duo for the third straight season? More generally, what are your thoughts on Lack and his role in the 2017-18 goalie situation?
3) What are your thoughts on trying Sebastian Aho at the center position? How do you think he looked in his initial audition there on Sunday night?