In the name of trying new things and also recognizing in advance that the second half of August will likely be challenging for Hurricanes hockey material, Canes and Coffee will be handing off part of the writing responsibility for the week of August 22-26 to readers and guests.
So if you have always wanted to write an article for a real life (err…ummm…pretend/hobby) sports media venture, here is your big chance!
* Send your article of 100-1200 words in MS Word or Google Docs format to us at canesandcoffee at gmail.com by Monday, August 15.
* Include a short bio (3-6 sentences is fine) that includes your age and where you live (city, state/province/country). The bio is NOT intended to be a writing resume. A little bit about who you are and why you are a Canes fan is great.
* After the bio include 1-2 sentences of why you would like to have an article published at Canes and Coffee.
* If you are younger and/or just more visual than word-inclined, feel free to submit Canes art/pictures instead.
* Canes and Coffee will post some of the best submissions during the week of August 22-26.
Potential categories (IMPORTANT!)
Please do NOT feel limited by the common angles of Canes and Coffee that lean toward hockey analysis. Just because the random guy who started the site is off the deep end in terms of analyzing and overanalyzing ever bit of Canes hockey minutiae that he can find does not mean this is the aim of our guest/reader writer week.
It would be refreshing to include some things that are different and not even necessarily related to on-ice Canes hockey. Ideas could include:
* Articles on your Hurricanes fandom including how it started, traditions, stories, growing up as a Canes fan, etc.
* Humorous (but respectful) takes on Hurricanes hockey. Think ‘The Onion.’
* A roast of Matt’s lack of qualifications to cover NHL hockey even in the form of an independent blog.
* If the Canes players were Pokemon, who would they be and why?
* If Ron Francis, Bill Peters and Eric Tulsky were to be inserted into a movie, what movie would it be and who would be which character? Reworking famous movie quotes?…Tons of potential here.
* Tailgating recipes?
…You get the point.
Hurricanes or broader NHL hockey articles are fine too
By putting mostly “off ice” categories first, the intent is not to say that Hurricanes and NHL hockey content is not also to be considered. Rather, the intent was to make it clear that it was not the only possibility.
Closer to the ice, any thoughts or analysis of Canes hockey are also fair game, but a couple interesting ideas might be:
* What it takes for the 2016-17 Hurricanes to make the playoffs.
* An assessment of the other Metropolitan Division teams heading into the 2016-17 season.
* Anything stats and/or analytics-related.
* Key things that must happen for the Canes to sneak into the playoff hunt for the 2016-17 season.
As with any first time thing, who knows how this goes especially with many on hockey hiatus in August, but the hope is to largely turn over the Canes and Coffee web site to readers and guests from August 22-26 and see how much fun we can have!
Thanks and Go Canes!